Bealart is a Secondary Visual Art school within H.B Beal Secondary School in London, Ontario. For over 100 years it has been a place where future culture makers are supported and encouraged. With an unrivalled range of specialized art making equipment, talented and caring professional instructors, our program shows students how to make, view and understand visual media in today's society. Skills gained at Bealart are not only relevant to visual arts pursuits but to a wide range of industries and pathways. Bealart is an inclusive, fun and challenging foundation available to all students within the TVDSB.
news & events
2023 Year End Show
We are super exited to get ready for this year's year end show. This celebration of student efforts for the 2023 year will be held on Saturday - Monday June,17-18. Check back soon for more information
enriched visual art stream
- Enriched visual art stream is for students who are interested in persuing a career in the creative industries: Visual Art, Design, Engineering, Architecture, Robotics, Gaming
- This stream utilizes our studio spaces that house specialized equipment
- Designed as a Grade 9 to Post-Graduate Pathway
- Multi-credit courses
- Utilizes Inquiry Based Learning strategies
- Multi-disciplinary, immersive and extremely rigorous
- Application Required
visual art stream
- Visual art stream is for students who are interested in visual art but do not wish to take more than one art credit in a term
- Utilizes our well equipped classroom spaces
- Designed as Drop-In courses with multiple entry points without pre-requisites
- Utilizes Project Based Learning strategies
- A great introduction to techniques and aesthetics in visual art
- Single-Credit courses from Grade 9 - 12
- No application required
- Register through MyBlueprint or your guidance councillor
how to apply
Application deadline for 2023 - 2024 is JANuary 15.
enriched visual art stream only
- Join our Portfolio Review Google Classroom.
TVDSB Students can use classroom code: 45zxgjo
- Students from outside the TVDSB should send their portfolio to email@example.com
- Submit your portfolio, credit counselling summary and questionnaire to the Google Classroom before the deadline
- Complete TVDSB registration and course selection in MyBlueprint before the TVDSB deadline
- Program fee $31.25/credit paid upon beginning course
- Entrance into the enriched stream is subject to space restritions and approval by the administration of HB Beal Secondary
- Bussing is provided for the Grade 11 and Grade 12 & Post-Secondary Programs only
- Grade 9 Enriched portfolio is optional but recommended
- Grade 9 questionnaire is required (download from the Portfolio Review Google Classroom)
- Post-Secondary portfolio should consist of no more than 10 works
- Works may be of any medium. We encourage a variety of media.
- Images should be clear and well lit
- You may include up to 3 images for one work
- All required items should be submitted to our Portfolio Review Google classroom
Our Expanded Media studio is equipped with Virtual Reality development and viewing equipment, Digital Photography studio, 3D environment development computers and software, 12 42" high definition monitors, Robotics studio, and immersive projection gallery.
Ceramics houses 2 large kilns, 8 potter's wheels, glaze spray booth, a 3 meter wedging table and lots of space and tools to create very large and complex ceramics works - whether that's functional or decorative.
We have a number of Painting studios each with enough square footage and high ceilings to create large stretchers. The only limitations are your imagination and the size of the doors!
Moving Image is our Filmmaking and Animation studio. We have all the equipment and software to make a feature documentary as well as line testers and animation software to create your own animated feature.
The Drawing studio has tools that range from the very traditional to the very new. From charcoal to digital drawing tablets, this studio is complimented by medium scale, gallery quality digital output so you can display your digital works on paper if you choose. 100s of drawing boards, easels and lots of floor space will allow you to create large scale drawn works!
One of the best equipped Printmaking studios in Canada. 3 large scale Intaglio presses, 4 Lithographic presses, ferric chloride copper plate etching, oil based and non-toxic Lithography processes. Our print studio has a class set of litho stones as well as 2 full sheet stones and 6 half-sheet stones. We teach traditional and emerging printmaking technologies from Japanese woodcut to polyester CMYK photographic processes.
This facility has tools and safety equipment to allow for medium scale stone carving, welding, and assemblage. We have our own wood shop and tool cage with a vast collection of tools!